Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Random Thought Number Three

In my last post I wrote about fear. Today I remembered something that I had read in one of the Little House on the Prairie books. (I am a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and would have loved to have been living during her time). Anyway, in the story Laura is watching her cousins ride their horses very fast and they ask her if she would like to ride one, and they offer her Jean's pony to ride. Here's the passage:

"Jean's pony seemed larger every minute. It was big and strong enough to kill Laura if it wanted to, and so high that to fall off it would break her bones. She was so scared to ride it that she had to try."

Isn't that wonderful?! I really like the wording there - it doesn't say she was so scared but she had to try, it says she was so scared that she had to try. Small words, but terrific differences in meaning. How many times have I been so scared that I had to try something? Not many, I'm ashamed to say.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails