Thursday, January 06, 2005

I took some pictures of the quilt that Maggie gave me for Christmas since my flash was working! I hung the quilt on the wall behind my desk so I can look at it while I work. In one picture you can see the names that are embroidered on it. I did an internet search on the names on the quilt and only found two, which were both in Ohio and were both in the obituary section of a newspaper there. I was curious as to the history of this quilt. Maggie said that it was a fundraising quilt and that people paid to have their names embroidered on the quilt and then the quilt was raffled off. She said it dated back to around the 1930s. I love finding out the history of old things. Note the pine tree with lights (Christmas tree to some) on the right side of my desk in one picture! Yes, it's still there, but not because I'm being a Christmas rebel and keeping it there (although I might do just that) - it's just that we haven't undecorated the house yet! Look closer and you can see a stocking hanging to the left of my desk! We will wait until this weekend for the annual throwing of the tree. Yes, this has become somewhat of a tradition in our house. We drag the Christmas tree out to the back deck, where Andy gets to toss it off into the yard from where it will make its way to the brush pile. The first year we just rolled it down the deck stairs into the yard. The next year Andy decided it would be more fun to drop it from the deck, so we just put it on the rail and pushed it off. Now it has become more of a hoist-and-throw type of activity. We find amusement in the strangest places.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails