Sunday, January 23, 2005

Pass the Fiber, Please

It's official. I am old. I certainly don't feel old, but I must be, because I actually know (and sing along to) the songs on the oldies station. Because when I told my son today that Johnny Carson died, he looked blankly at me and said "Oh, wait - I've heard of him. Who was he again?" Because my son's friend, when shown 33 rpm vinyl records that I had recently acquired, said excitedly "Oh, I've seen those before! My grandmother has the thing that plays them". (I am not kidding).

I can remember when 30 years of age used to seem ancient. Now it seems young. I used to think that 40 was halfway to death. Now 40 is just halfway to 80 - and I feel like I have another 40 good years ahead of me. If I look at it that way, I'm just starting out! The first 40 was spent doing things like learning to walk, talk, going to school, enduring adolescence and early marriage years and toddlers. The next 40 should be a piece of cake, right?! Why, I'm just getting started! I will proudly don my running shoes (with the arch supports), adjust my sports attire (all cotton, because body types like mine and spandex don't get along), clean my contacts for better vision, fasten my teeth down with Fixodent, and let my Miss Clairol-colored hair flow in the breeze as I run - okay, jog - er, maybe walk quickly, okay, stroll - to the finish line of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails