Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Home Again, Home Again

Jerry just called me from his mother's house; they just arrived there and he will be on his way home shortly. They have been on the road for 11 hours, and now he has about another 40 minutes to get here. Whew! He sounded so very tired. It will be nice having him home again.

Well, Andy's new teacher is wonderful! The first words out of Andy's mouth when he got off the bus yesterday were "Mrs. Walton ROCKS!" I met her today, and I have to agree with that assessment! She is a a lovely lady with a disposition to match. She has a great sense of humor, as well. Andy said that yesterday they were doing "webs" on the chalkboard, which is where you write a main subject and circle it, then draw "webs" off of that main word to explain details about the word. The main word was "space shuttle", and when asked for webs to draw off of that, one child said "endless darkness". The teacher wrote that, and then Andy spoke up and said the teacher should make a web off of that that says "Andy's mind"! Andy was shocked when she laughed and actually wrote it!

I had asked the principal last week if I could have the children make a card for their teacher who is out, and she said that would be a good idea, so I thought of something fun to do. There are just enough students in the class for each one of them to hold up a card with a letter on it, so that they can spell out "We miss you Mrs. Fitzpatrick!" I asked the new teacher today if I might "borrow" the class sometime soon to do this, and she said that Friday right after lunch would be good. I am going to take a picture of the whole class spelling out their message, print the picture out and tuck that into a card that I will have them all sign. I hope it works out. Watch Friday turn out to be the day several students are absent! Last year I wanted to do something special for Andy's fourth grade teacher, so I asked the principal if I could "borrow" the class then, too, and told her what I had planned. I bought muslin and cut it into 12 x 12 inch squares and bought fabric markers. I "borrowed" the class during one of their music classes so the teacher wouldn't know about it, and had the children each draw or write something special to the teacher on their square. Then I sewed the squares into a quilt. When I had asked the principal about doing this, she said that it sounded wonderful, and that it would make the teacher cry! She was right; it did! I don't think I'll be making a quilt again this year, but you never can tell! In any case, I am so very glad that Andy has a great teacher now. Now, he needs to stop being class clown so she doesn't leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails