Friday, March 04, 2005

A Book In Every Room

I love books! Ask Jerry - he's the one who has to put up with the overflowing bookshelves, boxes, bins......! I have a rather interesting reading style. I usually have about four books (or magazines) going at the same time. Either I have a vast curiosity or just a short attention span! For instance, right now in my living room I have the new issue of The Old Schoolhouse magazine that came yesterday. I love this magazine. It is for homeschoolers, and it always reaffirms my decision to homeschool Andy. It is interesting how I began receiving this. Several years ago when we were homeschooling Tom, I purchased material several times from sellers on eBay who had a family business of selling used textbooks and curricula. They then turned their business into a small homeschooling newsletter, and sent copies to all of their eBay customers. Over the past few years this little newsletter has grown into a very nice, glossy, 200-page magazine that is now sold all over the world in places like Barnes and Noble, Borders, Amazon, etc. They have been sending me copies of the magazine since it started, and it gets better with every issue.

Anyway, that's what's in my living room at the moment. Next we come to the kitchen where the book Esio Trot by Roald Dahl is lying on the table, still there from when I finished reading it to Andy while he was eating his breakfast this morning. It is an amusing story about tortoises - read the title of the book backwards and see what you get! Now the, ahem, powder room which at the current time contains a copy of Countryside magazine which Jerry and I both read. Next is our bedroom which contains many books, but on my nightstand right now is Pioneer Women, Voices From the Kansas Frontier. This is a collection of essays written by women who left everything to become settlers in new land. In Andy's room there are also many books, and we usually just pick something to read at night. Up until yesterday I had Selling Your Home in the car. My bible is in whatever room I decide to read it, and in the car with me a lot, too. That one's portable! A strange way to read perhaps, but how else would I be able to learn about homeschooling tortoises who pray about selling their home to move to Kansas to live in the countryside?!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:46 AM

    Good morning Karen,

    What a pleasant surprise to find you discussing The Old Schoolhouse on your blog. We are so pleased that you enjoy are magazine and have been with us since the beginning. I wanted to let you know that we recently set up a homeschool blog portal, www.homeschoolblogger.com to provide homeschoolers with access to free blog hosting and free blog templates. We are still in our beta stage, and have only been up for about three weeks. However we have around 250 users already signed up, including Jen Igarashi, Diana Waring, Cindy Rushton, Christine Field, and all kinds of other great authors and homeschool leaders. We also have an overwhelming amount of homeschoolers posting regularly, it is really blowing us away how quickly this is growing. Anyway, my point in contacting you is to let you know we would love to have you take a look at the site, and consider joining us. We have a number of bloggers who are maintaining two sites at the moment before completely transferring is that's something that concerns you. Once again thank you for you enthusiasm for TOS, I hope to see you at HomeschoolBlogger too. Please feel free to email me if I can answer any questions or assist you in any manner.

    Have a great day,
    Jessica Harvey
    Assistant to the Publisher
    The Old Schoolhouse, LLC
    jharvey@thehomeschoolmagazine.com
    Check out my blog at www.homeschoolblogger.com/bondservant4jc

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails