Thursday, May 19, 2005

What a Day!

We had a WONDERFUL day today. Despite my coughing, I still managed to enjoy the trip. We rode on a tour bus - complete with reclining seats and television! The boat ride was very, very nice. I think the class will be talking about this for a long time. At one point while I was just sitting and enjoying the ride, one of the crew asked me to steer. I actually did okay! It took a little getting used to - the boat is 56 feet long and it was difficult to see the front of the boat with the children standing. I only got port and starboard mixed up once, too, but the crew member reminded me. I was supposed to be turning the boat to avoid a crab pot and when he said "starboard", I turned port. Very calmly he leaned over and reminded me. He is British, so actually what he said was "stahbut, deah, stahbut"!

Of course, I forgot to take my Dayquil at lunch time, so I hacked my way through the afternoon, annoying myself and probably everyone around me. There was no water to take them with, either. The dock's bathroom is very, well, limited. They informed us that there was no septic or sewer; just a holding tank. There was a sign on the wall that read "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down". This grossed out a few kids, but most took it in stride!

All in all, it was a wonderful day. I know there will be a lot of tired children (and grown-ups) tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails