Saturday, February 05, 2005

When Did "Nice" Become A Four-Letter Word?

Getting online this afternoon, this story caught my eye. Okay, maybe 10:30 or so is a little late, but still did not warrant the consequences. Geez, it makes you not want to be kind to anyone anymore. I'm glad all of the lots on our street were sold and are built on now, because I really don't feel like baking any more cakes and welcoming new people to the street. Six years ago when the first new house was built in front of us I baked a cake and got a card in which I put our names and phone number in case they needed anything, and welcomed the new neighbors to Decatur Street. Since then I have done this four more times and all except for once have been treated kindly. That one time, though, was the last house built, so I guess if that's the direction my welcoming was headed in, it's better that there will be no one else to welcome! There is such rudeness everywhere that it really becomes disheartening sometimes. I really don't think people understand how being nice works! Being kind to someone else doesn't take ANYTHING away from you; on the contrary - it benefits you and the person you were kind to. People are too selfish to see this. Everyone is too busy looking out for themselves, instead of having faith that God is looking after all of us, and all we have to do is behave ourselves! I had a friend who asked me why I was so nice to everyone all the time - especially my husband. I told her that my priorities went in this order - God first, Jerry second, the boys third, THEN myself, which includes my job. I know that on days when everything is going wrong, it's usually because (discovering this in retrospect, unfortunately), I had my priorities out of order. When I put things in the order they should be, I find that I can fit so much more in my days than I thought possible, and that everyone - not just me - has a good day. My friend said she wanted to try this. After a week or so she called me back and told me it was just too much work, that if her husband and children couldn't fend for themselves while she was trying to watch television, study, visit friends, surf the net, etc., etc., then that was just too bad. I hadn't heard from this friend in a long time, and found out last week that she is now in the middle of a messy divorce. Hmmm......

On the lighter side, (gotta have a lighter side or mother will think I'm depressed!) I had a really good time at the grocery store this morning. What I mean is that I came out of there $30.00 under what I had budgeted for myself and got everything I had on my list, plus an extra just for me! (Think Miss Clairol!). I usually hate grocery shopping, but I finally had to go. You can only eat so much pork!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails