Saturday, April 30, 2005

Not much happening these past few days. Andy was up most of the night Wednesday with pollen-related general yuckiness. I wish he had told me he wasn't feeling well. Instead, he got up and got himself some water, turned on his light and sat up reading most of the night. If he had awakened me I could have given him Benadryl to help him sleep, but he said he didn't want to bother me. So, at 4:30 when I got up and saw him still awake, I gave him Benadryl then, knowing full well that he'd be too unconscious to get up for school at 7:00! I just let him sleep and he slept until 9:30. I'm a stickler for not giving medicine for every little thing. I honestly believe it keeps everyone healthier to let your body do the fighting, if it can. Too many people take medicine for every little ache and pain, and your body doesn't even have a chance to try to defend itself, and so no antibodies to anything get built up. I feel the same way about seasonal allergies. I know people suffer with them, but pollen has been around longer than people have! I'm quite sure the first settlers didn't go running to Ye Olde General Store for Claritin. I just think that we are in too much of a hurry to "get on with our day", and will take something to feel better so we can do that, instead of just taking it easy a day or two while your body builds up defenses. I guess I'm doing something right - Andy hasn't been to the doctor's for two years and that was when he caught scarlet fever when it was going around school. When his temperature went from 99 to 103 in the space of an hour and he became too drowsy to talk to us I knew this was not the time to let his body fight by itself. Tom hasn't been to the doctor's for three years, and that was when he developed a fluid sac around the screws in the top of his leg and it was too painful for him to even walk. We are blessed with good health and a family lineage that is the same.

Andy has a track meet on Tuesday that sounds like a lot of fun. Five elementary schools from this area get together at the local high school and spend the day running races and doing different sporting events. Each school competes against the others. It is only for the fifth graders of each school. They will be doing that until 1:00, then they return to school for a lunch catered by Chick-Fil-A. Sounds like a great day! All of the fifth graders from Andy's school were given a T-shirt that the school had made up with all the fifth graders' signatures on it and that has their school name on the front. The fifth grade teachers got together and gave me one too! I will proudly wear it on Tuesday as I cheer my son on! He has signed up for a few of the races. They had to sign up in advance for what events they wanted to participate in so there wouldn't be complete chaos on Tuesday.

We went to Jerry's mom's house on Thursday night for his birthday dinner. Unlike my birthday dinner (steak and macaroni and cheese - which, I might add I haven't had since I was a kid - and miss very much), we had roast beef and lots of other good stuff. Of course there was cake and ice cream, too. Tom wasn't able to make it because he had lessons Thursday night. He is doing very well at work. All of his lesson slots are filled because so many people have requested him for their teacher, and now he has been put in charge of instrument repairs at their repair shop, too. He has gotten raises commensurate with all of this too and is doing very well financially. He seems to have a real talent for all things musical, from playing music to building or repairing instruments. He is self-taught in all of this too which is very remarkable, I think. But then again, I am his mother and could be just a tad biased!

Today is a rainy day and so I think I will finish my work, try to do some decluttering and sorting, and maybe work on the blanket that I'm crocheting. Needless to say, we decided not to go to West Virginia this weekend. We thought that it wouldn't be much fun traipsing around in the rain for two out of three days looking at land. We are getting things lined up around here though in order to sell the house. The electrician came by last week and is going to be finishing the electric in the garage sometime soon. The plumber came by yesterday and told Jerry what he needed to get in order for him to put a shower in the downstairs bathroom. This also involves moving a wall in the adjoining laundry room and moving the water heater, washer, dryer, and refrigerator that are in there. Tom said that we're going to fix this place up so that we won't want to move! Nah... THAT will never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails