Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Price of Beauty

Last week I treated myself to a for-really, honest-to-goodness, no-foolin' hair do. And not just a hair do. Color, cut, style, conditioning treatment - the works. When I left the house that morning I told the boys that I didn't know when I'd be back - the lady at the salon had her work cut out for her. The boys responded that she would see me coming across the parking lot and hide. They likened me to Hagrid from Harry Potter. And they weren't wrong.

So, after many hours, and fumes that about knocked me out, I emerged with a new 'do. And it was straight. You heard me - straight. Not that I don't have the option of it being curly - all I have to to do is get out of the shower and not do anything with it. But - BUT - if I want it straight, all I have to do is plug in this glorious tool that is a super mega size, super mega hot curling iron, and I can straighten my hair.

But I will need practice with this super mega size, super mega hot curling iron. On my first attempt at home, I succeeded in burning my forehead and right ear lobe. We're not talking about a mild burn, either. We're talking the kind of burn that leaves a mark, then a scab. Yeah, that kind of burn. This super mega size, super mega hot curling iron goes to 450 degrees. Which, the salon lady tactfully pointed out, was the temperature I would need if I even hoped to straighten this Hagrid-hair of mine.

Let me put that in perspective for you. Imagine turning your oven on, putting a pan inside, and setting it to 450 degrees. Now, after 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and apply it directly to your forehead or right ear lobe. Ouch. Did you know that skin that isn't even wet can sizzle with that kind of heat? I know that - now.

Well, here is a pic of my straightened hair - because I know that anyone who knows me won't believe me.



No, wait. That's a cheesecake I made last week.




Ah, here we are. And this is me - with straight hair. The picture isn't great, but you try taking a picture of yourself in a mirror with a camera. It ain't easy.

By the way, the cheesecake recipe can be found here, along with other great recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails