Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fall Bounty



Jerry stopped at a farm stand and brought me two HUGE heads of cabbage, two HUGE heads of cauliflower, and two HUGE boxes of sweet potatoes. I have been busy processing stuff and hope to finish today. I made Andy a sweet potato pie, I made coleslaw, and I made a batch of sauerkraut. I've never made sauerkraut before. I let it "sour" for just under two weeks and it still seemed a little more sweet than sour, so I think I'll let the next batch sit a while longer. We'll be having some of the first batch with a pork roast this weekend when Jerry comes home. The heads of cabbage were so huge, that we measured and weighed them. They were bigger and weighed more than my boys when they were born - and they were both BIG boys! One head measured 30 inches around and weighed 11 pounds. That's alotta sauerkraut!

Here's Andy holding the mutant cabbage head, and in the next picture a salt shaker is placed next to the cabbage for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails